Required to understand. Drivers and cyclists have to share the road. Spain is a country with a great tradition cyclist. Not so much in regard to using the bicycle as a means of transport, but in sports, which is why it is usual for us to meet with cyclists and groups of cyclists on the road. If you’re a cyclist, it is very important that you know the basic rules of the road. If you are a driver, it is very important that you know how you have to overtake a cyclist. If, as a server, you’re a driver and also a cyclist, it is very important that you know these 11 basic rules about overtaking cyclists.
How have circular cyclists on the road?
To begin with, as a cyclist and as a driver, you have to know the rules that regulate the movement of cyclists.
1. bicyclists can travel in a platoon, in a row of two. Except in sections without visibility, curves, changes of elevation, or in areas with fog.
3. The cyclists have to circulate on the hard shoulder, but in his absence, may use part of the lane enabled for cars, always on the right side, and occupying the minimum space necessary.
4. Cyclists can use part of your lane to perform with greater security, a decrease in a stretch with curves, except on the highway. That does not mean that they can shorten the curves to invade the full lane, or even the opposite lane. This practice, in addition to being extremely dangerous, it is not legal.
5. bicyclists can travel by highways, provided that this does not prevent expressly, but not on motorways. Must ride on the hard shoulder and its use will be restricted to over 14 years.
6. cyclists must maintain a distance of 1.5 metres when overtaking other vehicles. Overtake another cyclist in the same group is not considered an advancement, and therefore not keep this safety distance.
How have to face a driver overtaking a cyclist?
7. The driver has to make sure, first, that the maneuver of overtaking a cyclist or group of cyclists can be done safely. The maneuver, of course, has to be marked with the intermittent, but never with the horn, as they can cause cyclists to be afraid.
8. The lateral distance of safety that would keep the driver with cyclists is, at a minimum, 1.5. Although, if the road conditions allow, it is recommended that you keep a superior distance. Adhere to this standard is imperative. With a distance lower than not only run the risk of hitting the cyclist, but, even without that contact occurs, we can scare the rider or cause a current of air that will destabilize and cause his fall. Failure to respect this rule is punishable as a serious offense and carries with it the withdrawal of 4 points of the card.
9. Important. The driver may pass the continuous line central to overtake a cyclist or group of cyclists. Always and when it doesn’t come on a vehicle from the front, it could be done in terms of security, and there is visibility enough to perform the maneuver, that is to say, that we are not in a curve or blind a hump. If the overtaking can not be done with safety, the driver will need to slow, or even stopped if necessary.
10. The driver can take part, or totally, the opposite lane. Even with continuous line it is imperative that we maintain the safety distance mentioned in the previous point.
Overtaking cyclists in front of
11. Finally, you have to remember that the law also expressly regulates other types of situations in which the cyclist and the driver did not preempt each other, but they intersect. is Not permitted to pass endangering or hindering to bicyclists riding in the opposite direction, even when these do by the roadside.
To complete this article, I recommend you to see this video edited by World Mammoth in which we explain, in a more graphical, the rules of advancement and coexistence between motorists and bicycles.