watching Us from the heights and is the true terror of the conductors, at least of those who violate the highway code. Pegasus is one of the most effective tools of the Directorate-General of Traffic and most feared by the drivers. The presence of helicopters for surveillance and traffic control is not recent, it dates back to the sixties, but over the last few years, these helicopters have become precise and effective machine, thanks to the incorporation of the Pegasus, an advanced technology that is able to accurately detect excess speed to hundreds of meters in height and up to a kilometer away. And these are some of the secrets of Pegasus, and the numbers of their first years of work.
1. 3.821 are the hours of flight that has joined the fleet Pegasus, surveillance missions, during the past three years. Remember that helicopters Pegasus are already present in the consortium of A Coruña, Madrid, Málaga, Seville, Valencia, Valladolid and Zaragoza, which does not preclude, of course, is used for controlling the roads in other surrounding counties. Each flight of Pegasus usually lasts a maximum of 2.5 hours, at which time you can monitor a section of road of up to 300 kilometers.
2. Pegasus has issued 18.274 allegations, an important figure if we consider that it has served to control 76.417 vehicles.
3. The average speed of the overspeed identified was of 130 km/h. On track limited to 120 km/h, the average amounted to 148 km/h. While on roads limited to 90 km/h the average stood at 122,7 km/h.
4. Record: the maximum velocity captured by Pegasus in a section limited to 90 km/h was 199 km/h, and came to 242 km/h a driver caught in a road limited to 120 km/h.
5. Pegasus is ready to capture even the excesses of speed over exaggerated, being capable of detecting excesses of up to 360 km/h.
6. Pegasus is able to work at a height of 300 meters and a kilometer of distance, although the working distance is more appropriate is between 400 and 700 meters.
7. Pegasus can monitor a vehicle every 3 minutes. For this, it has two cameras, one panoramic, and one with a zoom, very powerful, able to focus his aim on the car to capture the violation and read the enrollment.
8. Pegasus not only controls excess speed. It is also highly accurate to identify the violation of several, as not respecting the safety distance, distractions, mobile phone use, non-use of helmet or seat belt, and dangerous maneuvers.