In the last few weeks, the so-called ‘summer break’ is in the mouth of all the protagonists of the present of Formula 1, especially when defining the development of the cars or the signings of the teams in the face 2018.
But such a break is not something merely symbolic, which marks the halfway point of the season, but that is determined by the regulation in force in the Formula 1. This was an initiative taken by the teams when Bernie Ecclestone started to increase significantly the number of races to compete in during the season. after a few years of stability with fifteen or sixteen races, it has come down to the 20 quotes from the current calendar. This, together with the custom teams to work virtually 24 hours a day, seven days a week, let no rest to the members of the teams, especially those traveling to the Big Prizes.
The first to arrive to the circuits in week of Grand Prix, which they usually do on Tuesday and, after the race, they begin a tough race against the clock to get to the next circuit or the factory. With so many races throughout the year, in 2009 it was decided to include in the regulation an enforced break during which the teams can not work in anything related to his activity in Formula 1, except repairs or maintenance necessary for the next race.
In essence, the regulations require to stop the activity for fourteen consecutive days between the last Grand Prix of July and first of August, which is usually held the last weekend of the month. Each team chooses when to start said recess and communicates it to the FIA before the start of the season. To prevent any team to slip through the regulations and take advantage over their competitors, the regulation specifies what operations are permitted and which are prohibited. To ensure compliance, the AIF carries out controls to the effect.
below, we describe in detail what the rules specify about the ‘summer break’ official Formula 1. Both headings are listed in the Sporting Regulations of the Formula 1.
21.8. All competitors must comply with a period of cessation of activity of fourteen consecutive days located between two eventosconsecutivos that are separated by at least 24 days during losmeses of July and/or August. If two consecutive events estuvieranseparados for only 17 days in this period, the cessation of actividaddebe be of thirteen days. In any case, competitors debennotificar to the FIA their period of cessation of the activity within los30 days prior to the start of the championship.
During the period of cessation of activity, neither the team nor aafiliados to the team may carry out or give instructions to unatercera part on any of the following activities for or full team:
- Operate or use any wind tunnel (excluding cualquieractividad or maintenance service).
- Operate or use any computer with simulations CFD(excluding any activity or service).
- Production or development of parts of the wind tunnel, loscoches, to test or tools.
- Sub-assembly parts of the car or the assembly of the cars.
- Any work of any employee, consultant osub-contractor related to design, development or production(excluding any activity that is performed in the circuitocomo preparation for the event immediately subsequent to the periodode cessation of activity). Each competitor must notify susproveedores the dates of cessation of activity and should not come to ningúnacuerdo or contract with the intent of violating the prohibition of activities referred to.
21.9. During the period of cessation of activity, the siguientesactividades will not be considered as a violation of loanteriormente mentioned:
- Repairs carried out with the consent of the FIA in uncoche seriously damaged during the event preceding the period decese of activity.
- Assembly and maintenance of demonstration cars static,none of which should include production, ensamblamiento omantenimiento of parts of the cars current.
- Operation and use of any wind tunnel or ordenadorprovisto simulation CFD, provided that they are used paraproyectos not directly related to Formula 1 or to uncompetidor that, at that time, is not in its period of cessation deactividad.
- Any activity with the sole purpose of attending proyectosno related to Formula 1, subject to the written approval of the FIA.
- Any activity related to the thruster unit, as sedefine in article 23.4 (e).