is no novelty to say that the center of Madrid is a circulatory chaos, especially at certain times of the day, the so-called “peak hours”. The episodes of high pollution it must stop and it is that, for much that we do not understand neither in chemistry, nor of our cardiovascular, that famous “beret” of pollution that covers the sky of the city can’t be anything good for our bodies.
In the past few months we are carrying out various measures to try to reduce the pollution in the central area of the Spanish capital, a number of measures that, by the way, will not end up being very useful. It seems that from the city Hall of Madrid you have realized this, but the solutions that are adopted in the short and medium term as does not feel at all well to those who circulate or reside in the city. The most important thing is the total elimination of the car relatively old center, although there are many more.
Manuela Carmena (Mayor of Madrid) has presented this morning measures that will be undertaken in the coming months and years to reduce the environmental pollution. The most controversial are the reduction of the maximum speed in all of the M-30 and some entrances to the city to 70 km/h in 2018, the prohibition of parking in the area to BE passenger cars gasoline prior to the year 2000 and diesel prior to 2006 in the 2020 or the prohibition of movement to the same from the year 2025 in the municipality; that is to say, more than 20 % the automotive park.
Says the city Hall of Madrid also want to “redesign” the main routes, traffic distribution and connection of the center and the periphery of the city, reducing the space dedicated to the automobile and enhancing infrastructure for public transport; what we understand as “cut off” the circulation of the main “arteries” of the central area, as well as hints at it in one of the points of your project that further down the list.
All that is to reduce to the maximum the pollution and improve our health we seem to be good news, but in the same way we should be able to continue to drive through the city with solvency. With this we mean to promote other transportation alternatives and improvements in the current. The city Council of madrid directed by Manuela Carmena has already presented his “new rules” well detailed, but their alternatives are minimal. Expand the city system of bicycle rental (BiciMAD), increase bonuses and penalties for parking according to the contaminant that is a car or another and will create less than 10,000 spaces in park and ride facilities; although these projects will not be ready until 2018.
Less than 10,000 spaces in park and ride facilities, still do not know where to be created or what will be its communications with the center because the project is not finished yet, it is a number that little may help you to a big city like Madrid. What happens with the people who can’t afford the purchase of a current car? Why the filter according to date of enrollment? Is there not vehicles of 2007 much more polluting than cars of 2005? Does anyone on the city Council has studied if you really reduce the speed of traffic along the M-30 and some entrances to the city reduces the pollution with the supposedly real and not only theoretical studies? WhatWill reduce the price of the Subway or bus to encourage its use?
The case is that if you wish to continue circulating through Madrid, you will first need to to be able to afford the purchase of a new car and, second, if you can buy a car like you should think of a power, because it is likely that shortly after prohibiting the circulation to the entire car with heat engine. We’ll see how this all culminates.
These are the 30 measures of the “Plan” of the city Council
- A Central Area Of Zero Emissions
- Reform of the main access routes to the centre
- Priority for pedestrians
- Improvement and extension of the cycling network
- Enlargement of BiciMAD, and coordination with the Regional Transport Consortium
- Regulation of the parking with the criteria of air quality
- Limitation of the speed in the access, metro, and the M-30
- Network of car intermodal at the crown metropolitan
- Pathways and preferred prioritization semafórica for buses
- Infrastructure reserved for public transport
- Expansion and renovation of the fleet of EMT
- Incentives to a fleet of taxis low emissions
- Optimization of the service of the taxi with environmental criteria
- Optimization of the urban distribution of goods
- urban Distribution of goods with vehicles of low emissions
- Innovation and efficiency in the logistics processes of urban
- Renewal of the circulating fleet of vehicles
- Fleets of municipal services for the low-emission
- Plans for labour mobility sustainable
- recharging Network for electric vehicles and supply of alternative fuels
- Impetus to the initiatives of mobility shared
- Regeneration and rehabilitation of neighborhoods
- Promotion of system of efficient air conditioning systems, low emission
- distributed Generation and use of renewable energies
- Reduction of emissions in waste management
- energy Monitoring and consumption management of municipal facilities
- Interventions in city buildings and facilities
- Incorporation of sustainability criteria in the procurement municipal
- Adaptation to Climate Change. Madrid + Natural
Awareness-raising and collaboration with other administrations
- environmental Awareness and cooperation with other administrations
Sources – ABC and around the World