At the end of last week began the rumors that they said that Volkswagen was having setbacks in some of their factories. The information is confirmed, and the German manufacturer has announced that will stop the production in six of its plants because of problems with some providers. This affect thousands of workers and also two of the most successful models of the brand: the Golf and the Passat.
The providers we spoke to are CarTRIM and IS Automobilguss, which are responsible for providing seats and pieces of steel to make the boxes change, respectively. Without these components in the factories, Volkswagen can not cope with the production of their vehicles. This lack of supply has forced to interrupt the activity in some factories temporarily.
The issue is that the suppliers require to Volkswagen a compensation of 500 million euros. This is due to the fact that the German mark has broken a procurement contract that entered into force in the coming year. As still it is serving a previous contract, the court of Braunschweig has given the reason Volkswagen and providers will have to resume their activity immediately.
The fact is that CarTRIM and IS Automobilguss still have not taken up the supply. Therefore some plants will have to stop as mentioned above. In total this situation will affect about 27.700 workers of the brand. Models as important as the Volkswagen Golf or the Passat are affected, as well as a multitude of components for the production of these vehicles.
These are the six factories that stopped their activity in the next few days:
- Emden: production Volkswagen Passat. Closure of the 18 to the 24 of August. 7,500 employees affected.
- Wolfsburg: production Volkswagen Golf. Close from the 22nd to the 27th of August. 10,000 employees affected.
- Zwickau: production Volkswagen Golf and Passat. Closure of the 22 to the 26 of August. 6,000 employees affected.
- Kassel: components of the transmission and exhaust systems. Close from 25 to 29 August. 1,500 employees affected.
- Salzgitter: components of the motor. Close from 24 to 30 August. 1,400 employees affected.
- Braunschweig: chassis components and plastic parts. Closure of the 22 to the 29 of August. 1,300 employees affected.
Source – Volkswagen