X-ray of a fraudster: so you committed fraud to auto insurance

Sure that we would all agree that fraud is concerned, and much to the insurers. According to Direct Line, which has just published its third barometer of the fraud in automobile insurance, the annual cost to the sector of these illegal practices would amount to 1,190 million euros. The fraud would have increased by 20% in the last two years. A fraud that is denounced, beyond the consequences that this has on your business, the cost to the society, and especially for the drivers, in both necessarily comes to be seen reflected in the cost of insurance policies. Surprised quite a few figures, such as the fact that 6 out of every 100 claims in Spain were an attempt to scam. How do you produce these frauds? Why do we justify the deception to the insurers?

9 million drivers justify the fraud. 5.2 million in what would be, if they knew that they are not going to be discovered.

Also surprised the fact that 5.2 million drivers recognize that they would commit fraud if they know that they are not going to be discovered, and 9 million justify it in some way. Phrases such as “insurance companies charge a lot of money and paid very expensive” further reinforce an idea, that of the customer perception of their insurer, which certainly does not see it as a business of his trust, so important that it is in a delicate moment as an accident, but as an imposition that in the long run is an important economic cost.

The most common profile of a fraudster, according to this barometer, is that of a young man, under the age of 26 years, with a precarious employment, or unemployed. Also common are the profiles of men of middle age, with higher studies, and working for others. The men are the ones that most disappoint, unless they repent of scams, and most boast of it. Women, however, pretend to more injuries, and simulate a severity higher than the real one.

fraude-seguro-3The study of the vision of the client’s fraud to the insurance companies has been conducted through a survey of 1.202 drivers throughout the Spanish geography. The statistics of fraud are based on the claims registered by the insurer between 2013 and 2014, a total of 1.9 million cars insured. Which leads us to another conclusion that makes us consider another important point, if you have detected fraud in 6 out of every 100 claims, how many claims there has been fraud and has not been investigated?

Precisely that aspect, the the insurer, we “hunt” is the one that helps to deter fraud. According to the insurer, the provinces in which most frauds have occurred have been Cuenca, Murcia and Jaen. By contrast, Soria, Salamanca and Burgos the rate of fraud is lower. The average cost of scams in Spain round the or 1284€, while in provinces such as Huesca, Lugo and Almeria exceeds 3000€.

fraude-seguro how And why fraud is committed more often? The most common fraud, which is present in 3 of every 4 cases of claims for property damage, is to produce damage beyond the loss. More distance, followed by the scams that organizes an assembly in advance, in which involved several people (12%), the budgets are inflated (7%), the faults stated as claims (1.5%) and the false theft (1%). In terms of injuries, 2% are due to illnesses or injuries prior to the accident, the rest, 98%, is due to simulations and false aggravations of actual damages, especially sprains cervical.

As a curiosity, January and the months leading up to summer vacation are reported in more fraud. Mondays are the days with more fraud, 19%, and the weekends are the days with less fraud.

In short, curiosities, statistics, without more, do not fail to provide a vision quite peculiar from our perception and behavior with the insurers.

In motor: